Streaming

Wanted to listen to some of my MP3s on the main sound system but don't want to burn to cd or copy to the Iriver. Also sick of copying single episodes of favourite TV shows to a CD then putting it in the DVD player (it plays DIVX etc).

Some thinking and searching and found a way to stream to the Amp/TV using our wireless network and the WII. Only things required were Winamp and a browser for the WII.

Installed Winamp on my PC and the latest version has a remote plugin that allows you to set your PC as a server to stream to the web. Set that up and created my account on Winamps Orb site, tested with the wired network and all OK. Able to stream Videos and MP3 from my PC to others in the house.

Wii on the internet and had to buy the browser from the WII shop for 500 points ($7.50). Made a favourite page as a page on my server which has a link to the Winamp remote site. Signed in and set to remember and now can watch all those episodes of "Shaun the sheep" and listen to my MP3s.

Good thing about it too is that it defaults back to the home network if we are on the same network so instead of streaming out over the Internet and back it just goes from my wireless access point to the WII so doesn't affect my download/upload.

Very nice

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brilliant. Just at our Son Marks place - he is using the new play station to do similar... now put it in simple english for me and tell me is their a mac way to do this. thanks!
Anonymous said…
jude here again... just to tell you I have all the necessary toys and the Wii is on our wireless. I was thinking I would have to get apple tv to do this - but would rather use the apple capsule we have.
Mick the Mad said…
Jude, Company called Red Kawa do a media centre for Mac and PC (www.redkawa.com)but the videos need to be converted beforehand. Maybe something from Riverfold (www.riverfold.com/software/wiitransfer/).

You definately will need to get the Internet channel on the Wii to get anything to work
Anonymous said…
The Wii is connected to our wireless system is that the same???
Mick the Mad said…
No because you need to go to web addresses other than the Wii channels (shopping, news etc). For this you need the browser
Anonymous said…
RightO. Am going to run all this fabulous info past my boys and see what they can do.. Will have to wait a while though because one is sick and the other has three exams next week.