Christmas Trees

Did you know that the Pine tree is a Pagan symbol of fertility?

Wonder why we decorate a Pine tree at Christmas?

What is the significance of December the 25th?

Read on.

Firstly December the 25th.

This is close to the Winter Solstice (Northern hemisphere) so would be the shortest day of the year. After this the days start getting longer or if you like, the sun is reborn.

On this night Virgo is just appearing above the Eastern Horizon and Sirius is high in the sky and would be the brightest star around. So we could say the Sun is being born of a Virgin and a bright star is guiding us.

Many Gods and Dietys are said to have been born on the 25th December and of a virgin. These include Krisna, Hercules, Mithra and Isis. I'll leave Jesus out of this because we know he wasn't born then.

Pine Trees.

As a symbol of fertility they would be used (along with Maypoles anther Phallic symbol) and decorated to signify and hopefully endear goodwill and fertility for the people, coming crops, and livestock. These would be decorated and danced around at the Winter Solstice (December the 25th). Also as an aside guess what word you can make from Pines!

Christians and Pine Trees

About 400AD it was decided to actually celebrate the birth of Jesus but no one was sure of when he was born (I reckon March - April 5BC) so the powers that be decided to use a date that was already in use and as there were a lot of Pagan/Mithra converts they chose the 25th December. Also fits in well with new hope and birth etc.

Hope that was enlightening and if you want to know why I reckon March - April 5BC for the birth of Jesus just ask.

Comments

Lee said…
You left me out, I was born on December 25, but, to my knowledge, it wasn't to a virgin ;-)

As always, enlightening, and, I am asking :)
Jude said…
Really enjoyed reading this Mick and learnt a lot. Thanks.
Sharon said…
Have you yet explained this to Lee? It has been two weeks, and I am sure she is just dying to know...
Mick the Mad said…
I am working on it. Just have to get it in the right order and understandable. That was going to be my new post but got sidetracked by nits when I was checking out info on passover.